Why I Montessori..


Racheous is running a great, insightful Montessori Mythbusters series.  There are so many misconceptions surrounding Montessori and many great experts and teachers in the Montessori blogosphere. My hope with this Montessori Mythbusters series is to bring the two together, as well as Montessori-loving parents like myself, to educate and inspire.
What is Montessori for me? After working at  Montessori classroom for a few years and attending numerous courses I had what I thought a very clear picture in my head of what Montessori is.

 Time came to attend another Montessori course our Center has organised for us. Going there I was preparing to hear one hundred's time how to show a three-period lesson and what side of the mat I need to place a number rod when presenting it to a child. Long story short.  The professor who was presenting the information did not mention any of it. Montessori does not represent a name for fancy, expansive materials. Montessori offers a different mind set, a new perspective on childhood. Being the first woman physician in Italy she was rejected by her family for her desire to pursue her career, she fought for right to study medicine. During her studies men refused to work in the same room with her. She did not come up with her ideas sitting comfortably in her office. She knew how to fight for what she believed in and go against the common understanding. When Maria worked on her method she made her conclusions based on child's physical development, she understood their needs to grow and become independent. There are a few things that I believe are a core foundation of her method: RESPECT for the child allowing them to become independent: teach them to do things themselves, teach respect for other people, nature,animals, environment. CONCENTRATION: each child has a right to work uninterruptedly with whatever they choose to work, for as long as they want. ENVIRONMENT: it has to be simple, uncluttered, beautiful and offer activities that are age appropriate. When these things are in place I personally have seen amazing transformations in children. From being aggressive, impulsive, after a few weeks children became clam, self composed and able to work with their activities for extended period of time. They still were children who enjoyed loud play and running around outside the school with the difference of being more confident, peaceful and possessing tools to gain knowledge through being able to concentrate on their task. The point I am trying to make I guess, is that parents do not need to stress over preparing beautiful activities every night or purchasing expansive materials. Yes, Montessori designed materials are great, natural and made with specific purpose with child in mind. However, it will not determined how successful, happy or smart your child will be. As soon as mum and dad provide safe, beautiful, environment with a few wooden toys and some activities where child can concentrate, become more independent, you will see amazing results in your child's development.

On the same note..

How many Montessori materials do you REALLY need in the home? from Lisa Nolan's Confessions of a Montessori Mom

Unknown

4 comments:

  1. This is such a brilliant point to make. Those are the key points at the heart of Montessori practice. You could present every material perfectly but without following those 3 rules it would all be for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amii, for your kind words! I truly enjoy the feeling of a stress free Montessori environment! Once I had a privilege of working at a very small Montessori center which was located in a beautiful outside of town area next to the mountains. It was the most amazing, magic experience of my life. Best job I have ever had. And you are right, in any classroom children can be encouraged to work independently, taught respect for others and environment, etc.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this post. It's funny, there is something so natural and intuitive for me about Montessori. I have often had Montessori teachers see something that I am doing and point out to me that it is Montessori, even though I have not necessarily focused on that -- it is just a way of educating that I am naturally drawn to. I will admit with what I consider to be more "formalized" Montessori, I sometimes get intimidated because of all of the products and special things that are shared/promoted. I have a limited budget, so I create sensory experiences from what we have already and, quite often, draw from nature. I am also grateful for thrift stores/garage sales. A small creamer from a garage sale works wonders for real life skill practice with pouring milk at breakfast or other Montessori pouring activities. I truly appreciate this as I believe it is important to make Montessori accessible to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing your experience!!! Well, I also find our child's toys at the local preloved baby market and when I see good deals at the supermarket. I do not own much Montessori materials myself. I do believe that for first three-five years children need more practical life experiences. Many materials for that can be found in the discount store. Older children will benefit from Montessori designed materials. I recommend to read lessons on presenting materials and creating similar materials at home. In my must have list for elementary age child would be laminator, printer. I love the way Montessori presents math. And how easy it is to make a stamp game, for example?!!! Super easy. All the best of luck to you!! Thank you again!!!

      Delete

What did I miss? Share your thoughts below!

top navigation

Instagram